As a pioneer in developing and implementing next-generation LED lighting solutions, Digital Lumens is taking a game-changing approach to the industrial IoT and smart building movement. With the introduction of the first Intelligent Lighting System, the company has designed a unique platform that combines LEDs, sensors, and software into a single, integrated system that reduces lighting-related energy use by up to 90 percent, and delivers networked building intelligence that improves organizational insight, productivity, efficiency, and safety.
As a company, Digital Lumens is distinguished by breakthrough technology, a management team of proven visionaries from the solid-state lighting and distributed networking industries, and proven results from real-world client deployments.
As a Software Engineer, you will join our tightly-knit interdisciplinary team of engineers developing the world’s most intelligent and energy-efficient lighting control system. Our web applications are the cornerstones of our industry-leading intelligent lighting solutions, helping to save hundreds of millions of kilowatt-hours each year for our customers around the globe. LightRules is built in Ruby on Rails, Ember.js, and D3.js, and is deployed simultaneously on site-hosted appliances and in the cloud.
This position has a focus on the back end: the Rails service stack, dealing with large relational databases both through ActiveRecord and building direct SQL queries and transforms. You should have extensive experience with Ruby on Rails and SQL, but expertise with the full stack is a big plus. We will expect you to have a mindset which values user experience, design, learning new things, solving hard problems, and improving the world.
- Develop new features for our software product line, including data modeling and development of data services
- Participate in all aspects of the product lifecycle – design new features, get feedback on them from internal and external sources, code them up, and work with our QA and application engineering teams to get them deployed at customer sites around the world
- Evaluate new technologies with an eye toward keeping our products on the cutting edge
- Ability to successfully work with internal and external customers to define product requirements and resolve challenging issues
- Advanced knowledge of Ruby and Ruby on Rails 4.x is expected
- Mastery of relational databases (we use PostgreSQL); familiarity with data warehouse concepts is a plus
- Experience building and deploying web applications on Amazon Web Services and using modern DevOps tools (Chef, Docker, Vagrant)
- Expertise with other software disciplines used in our products is a big plus. These include highly concurrent C++, distributed computing, statistical analysis, and mesh networking
- Excellent quantitative, analytical, problem solving, communication, creative, and interpersonal skills
- Effective multitasking and ability to deliver on-time and with quality results
- An advocate for efficiency and sustainability
- Demonstrable experience with large scale commercial web products
- BS/MS/ME in Computer Science or 5+ years equivalent work experience; recent college graduates through experienced engineers are encouraged to apply
- Successful candidate will be required to submit examples of work that demonstrate proficiency at a level that meets the position requirements
Position is based in Boston. Local Boston candidates only. This role does not offer relocation assistance.
To apply, send an email with your resume attached to email@example.com.
Is this role not for you? Please let us know about others that may be interested in this opportunity – you may be eligible for the DL non-employee referral reward.
Digital Lumens will not accept unsolicited resumes from placement agencies or recruiters.